Family

Family

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Catholic Schools Week

Our family is blessed in so many ways...but this week I reflect on my children's Catholic education.  I was asked a few weeks ago if I would talk during the All School Mass about Catholic education, St. Joan of Arc, and why we are so happy.

Here is how I feel about SJA!!!  Our family hit the jackpot when it comes to finding the best school for our family!!!!

Here are my words about SJA:

Proverb 16:9 says “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.”
Two years ago, the Lord listened to my heart and directed our family to St. Joan of Arc.
       A radical decision to move less than a month before our son was to start kindergarten left us looking for a new Catholic school for both of our children.  We began the school search again and St. Joan of Arc topped our list primarily because of the school’s diversity.  In less than 3 days we found St. Joan of Arc, met and toured the school with Mrs. Sharpe, and received a response from a vacationing Peggy Kline informing us that there was an opening in the preschool for our daughter.  It was the quick responses, the excitement and pride when discussing the school and it’s students, along with their willingness to accept our family on such a short notice instantly made us understand St. Joan of Arc would become part of our family.
       A Catholic education not only educates our children’s minds, but educates their hearts too.  Over the past two years, St. Joan of Arc, has proven a Catholic mission.  Beginning at the preschool level, they lay the foundation for children to learn to live an authentic life.  Matthew Kelly, author of Rediscovering Catholicism, says that “God doesn’t call you to live an authentic life so he can stifle or control you.  He calls you to live an authentic life so that from an infinite number of possibilities, you can become the best version of yourself.”  St. Joan of Arc, the teachers, parents and surrounding community introduce these possibilities and teach our children to be all they can be everyday.   
       When I think of St. Joan of Arc, I recall something Garyn said to me this year while walking into school on the first day.  He looked up at me and said, “Mom, I feel like I am back home.”  The feeling of family, the security the teachers, parents, and staff provide to our children is inmeasurable.  These teachers love our children everyday, not because it’s their job, but because it’s their vocation.  They were called to do what they do everyday.  Their devotion to our children and their Catholic education seeps through every doorway.  The people of St. Joan of Arc truly love what they do…. and it shows!
       St. Joan of Arc herself once wrote, “Get up tomorrow early in the morning, and earlier than you did today, and do the best that you can.”
       Thank you St. Joan of Arc for educating the entire person and striving to be the best you can be!      







. 

No comments: