Family

Family

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Church History according to Gigi

As Catholics this is an important time for us.  For the first time in 600 years, Pope Benedict XVI, Peter's successor, has retired!!!  His resignation was effective February 28, 2013.  The Church is over 2000 years old, yet there has only been 265 successor's to Peter... and to be able to witness the Most Holy 'Chair' empty 2 or 3 times in my lifetime is incredible to me!

Pope Benedict will, I am sure, be remembered as a great Teacher-Pope. Theologian means, quite literally, "one who speaks of God." Ratzinger the great thinker turned out to be Benedict the great communicator of the Faith - a father in the sense of one who nurtures the young in faith. His unique command of the truths of Christian doctrine and his singular ability to make them come alive catechetically and homiletically were a great gift to us. He called us back to the foundations of faith in Scripture and Tradition, the Word of God alive and active in our day.- Religion and Ethics

As we patiently wait for the 'white smoke,' I am using this time to explain as much as possible about this incredible event to the kids.  Garyn listens and goes about his business.  He may ask a few questions here and there, but seems content with what I tell him.  Gigi, on the other hand, spends more time with me (since she has been on break from school,) therefore, she has been listening to more news and the Catholic channel.  She has been listening to everyone talking about the "smoke."  
 Today we were in the car and she said, "Mom, I am looking for the White Smoke...and I don't see any."  I told her that it may still be a few more days until they name a new successor to Peter.  She very matter a factly said, "They better hurry up because the Pope is always old."

Later on today, I was upstairs getting dressed and witnessed on TV the Black Smoke from the smoke stacks.  I yelled to Ryan and Gigi, "Black Smoke."  Gigi looks at Ryan and says, "Well Dad, Black Smoke, No Pope."

History.....let us never forget!



No comments: